Trusting someone to drive your children around is something that you should not take for granted. Being in possession of a driving licence, whether it be from the UK or abroad, may not mean that person is a safe driver.


For foreign drivers, you need to consider whether they have sufficient experience and knowledge for driving on roads in the UK. Far more countries drive on the right hand side of the road than the left.



Have you considered having your nanny or au pair’s driving assessed?

We are often asked to conduct driving assessments for employees from abroad. We will give you peace of mind that your child/ren are being transported safely.

sign1Driving with a Foreign Licence

Driver’s licences issued in other countries may be used in the UK for a limited period…

To drive legally in the UK a driver must be at least 17 years old and have a valid licence of a category appropriate to the vehicle being driven.

Using a Foreign Licence in the UK

Visitors over 17 years of age, with a valid driving permit issued elsewhere in the world, may drive a passenger vehicle in the UK for up to 12 months.

After 12 months, some foreign licences remain valid for use in the UK for a limited period; some may be exchanged for a UK licence; some cease to be valid and a full driving test must be taken for a British licence (GB) to be issued.

Driving with an EU/EEA-issued licence

A valid driving licence issued anywhere within the European Union (EU), or European Economic Area (EEA), may be used by the licence holder until the age of 70, or for up to three years from the time they become resident in Great Britain (whichever is longer).

After three years it must be exchanged for a GB licence.  EU licences can only be renewed in the country in which the holder is resident.  If a driver holds a licence from another EU country and renews it in Britain, it will be converted to a UK licence.

Note: An EU/EEA-issued licence may not be exchanged for a GB licence if it was issued in exchange for an original licence not on the “designated countries” list.

Penalty points given for driving offences made during the three-year period are recorded by the DVLA and listed against the driver’s name. Drivers may be disqualified from driving if they accumulate 12 penalty points within three years.

chineseLicences issued in a designated country

A licence issued in one of the 17 countries with which Great Britain has a reciprocal licencing agreement may be used for 12 months and then exchanged for a GB licence of an equivalent category.

The 17 designated countries are:

Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe. A Motorbike licence from the Faroe Islands and Republic of Korea is not exchangeable

Although the designated country licence is only valid for the first 12 months, it may be exchanged at any time within five years of the licence-holder becoming resident in the UK. However, after the first year the driver may not drive until that is done.

ukLicences from other countries

A licence issued by any other country is valid for use for one year. To continue driving, a full driving theory and practical test must be taken for the issue of a UK licence.